Tony Petersen and the Offensive issues

I of course have seen both the supporters and the criticizers of Tony. And I'm just giving my input as someone who has played and Coached football.

First I keep seeing "This team has too much talent to lose like this". Well, yes and no. When a new Coach is hired his first step "should" be to look at the talent they have and what they do well (Look at Walters and his improvement of the D). Unfortunately this is something that Petersen and let's be honest, Bielema hasn't done well. Let me explain. This Offense was recruited, trained and developed to run a specific Offense. This the reason our O-Line is often described as undersized. They were brought in to zone block for a moving QB. Not a pocket passer. If you watch the games and look at the stats our Offense is best when the line is moving to block. That uses their speed to allow them to move defenders at an angle versus meeting them head on where we lack the size to do so.

This is a Coaching issue and it's Coaching 101. You have to use the abilities of what you have now. And Petersen isn't doing so. They have this plan of what they want the Offense to be. Which is fine for future recruiting. But right now it's a square peg, round hole.

Will Petersen get a second season? Probably. Does he deserve one? Eh, if the rumblings are true in that many of the Offensiver players and other Coaches don't care for him. Then he needs to go. However, with the likely roster turnover we are going to see in the next couple weeks, then the player thoughts aren't likely to matter. If they were to make a change it wouldn't shock me to seen George McDonald get the role versus going outside the program. He is absolutely loved and respected by everyone in the Smith Center.

Side note: Prepare yourselves for a very possible repeat of Virginia this week. Minnesota has the largest O-line we will face this year. A very accurate passer and a running game who has been successful no matter how far down the depth chart they go. All strengths that expose our biggest weaknesses.

Ryan_Evan

Administrator
Staff member
I of course have seen both the supporters and the criticizers of Tony. And I'm just giving my input as someone who has played and Coached football.

First I keep seeing "This team has too much talent to lose like this". Well, yes and no. When a new Coach is hired his first step "should" be to look at the talent they have and what they do well (Look at Walters and his improvement of the D). Unfortunately this is something that Petersen and let's be honest, Bielema hasn't done well. Let me explain. This Offense was recruited, trained and developed to run a specific Offense. This the reason our O-Line is often described as undersized. They were brought in to zone block for a moving QB. Not a pocket passer. If you watch the games and look at the stats our Offense is best when the line is moving to block. That uses their speed to allow them to move defenders at an angle versus meeting them head on where we lack the size to do so.

This is a Coaching issue and it's Coaching 101. You have to use the abilities of what you have now. And Petersen isn't doing so. They have this plan of what they want the Offense to be. Which is fine for future recruiting. But right now it's a square peg, round hole.

Will Petersen get a second season? Probably. Does he deserve one? Eh, if the rumblings are true in that many of the Offensiver players and other Coaches don't care for him. Then he needs to go. However, with the likely roster turnover we are going to see in the next couple weeks, then the player thoughts aren't likely to matter. If they were to make a change it wouldn't shock me to seen George McDonald get the role versus going outside the program. He is absolutely loved and respected by everyone in the Smith Center.

Side note: Prepare yourselves for a very possible repeat of Virginia this week. Minnesota has the largest O-line we will face this year. A very accurate passer and a running game who has been successful no matter how far down the depth chart they go. All strengths that expose our biggest weaknesses.
Some great points here!