Pete Nance & Matthew Mayer….Or Both?

Ryan_Evan

Administrator
Staff member
As I mentioned last week illinois is in good shape with Pete Nance if he returns to college. What has happened since? He got a G-League Invite today and not the NBA Draft combine invite he was wanting. Which means he is very doubtful to be drafted unless he shines brighter than any of the other 43 competitors and makes the NBA Draft combine. Only a couple get that luxury.

I have been told this evening that Nance is leaving the draft process and returning to college. He could still participate next season if he wanted too if he turns it down this year which would be smart. Only get one shot. My updates are right to the point and I know you may want more weekly but when nothing new happens I don’t want to stir a pot that doesn’t need it or get anyone worried. When Nance announces he’s coming back to college….It will be illinois

Matthew Mayer left Baylor to be a focal point and somewhere he can thrive. Illinois is in a really good because of Tim Anderson. Brad Underwood loves his defensive tenacity and how he can do all the little things and shoot it well from deep. Being 6’9 doesn’t hurt either. Texas Tech Is making a push late and UNC wants Him but I think they are so loaded and stacked he may not see a fit to play more. Illinois may be his best option and he knows he can play the 4 mainly and 3 if needed. I have been told illinois has a legit shot to land both Nance and Mayer together.

It is very possible and realistic that illinois won’t be adding another guard in this transfer portal and will be depending on freshman and RJ to help bring ball up and take care of it. I know illinois wants to add another guard like Courtney Ramey but at this rate I would say illinois has better chance of landing Nance and Mayer than they do of landing Ramey.

1-2 of those names will be illini by the last week in May. Maybe even sooner.

Final check on Brandin Podziemski. Family wasn’t happy Brandin only played 69 minutes all year and wasted a redshirt. Most of his minutes were garbage time, they feel they had a year taken from him.

They visited Miami, Houston and Santa Clara. One other California school and another Texas school. Clemson and Wake forest reached out as well. Brandin will always be BIG Champaign and we should always root for the best for him.

Coleman Hawkins Stayed because all his concerns were answered and he got the clarity on his chance to be a team captain and be a leader for next years team. He thinks he can go from being “third or 4th option to being a focal point”. Brad and Coleman may never vibe on a high level but Underwood knows how valuable Coleman is and Coleman loves being in Champaign and winning titles

Last edited:
Awesome news my man. I’m not poking at you or calling you out but is the nance stuff a lock or is there that little bit similar to Kofi that says otherwise, Similar to Kofi flat out not wanting to be in school anymore that would steer nance away? And are the rumors about Mayer going for the biggest bag true?

Ryan_Evan

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome news my man. I’m not poking at you or calling you out but is the nance stuff a lock or is there that little bit similar to Kofi that says otherwise, Similar to Kofi flat out not wanting to be in school anymore that would steer nance away? And are the rumors about Mayer going for the biggest bag true?
Kofi and school was a major major factor. This isn’t an issue with Nance. Things are a lot better in that regards and Nance doesn’t have as much or many glad handlers $$ in his ear and behind him.