Omar Payne transfers. Who is next? Timelines..

Ryan_Evan

Administrator
Staff member
As expected Omar Payne transferred from Illinois. Last week I told you two of Payne, Lieb and BBV would leave. I truly expect BBV to stay. He is the most likely of those three to contribute positively and not be a mental disaster to the team or hurt them by silly fouls or defensive breakdowns. He has shown he can bang in the post and be a body to spell minutes for Kofi.

Brandon Lieb wants to stay and be a graduate transfer next season. He likely will never contribute of substance at Illinois. He could go and play somewhere and make an impact at Northern Illinois and places like that. He’s told close sources he wants that degree from Illinois but in this day and age…that doesn’t matter. Just like Omar Payne who was asked to leave and told he won’t be playing if he stays at Illinois.

Austin Hutcherson will not be renewed back and will move on. I don’t expect a tweet farewell or some transfer post. It’s mutual but no way Brad asks such an injury risk to come back and waste another scholarship year.

Let me be clear I genuinely expect Kofi back. 99% the staff expects him back and I expect an announcement in the next few weeks.

I am still confident on Skyy Clark. To announce to Illinois in the next 1-2 weeks.
He will replace Andre Curbelo scholarship who by the way was on his way out during the ncaa tournament. I was told other schools were contacting him while the team was in Pittsburgh and he was hiding it and denying it. Also wouldn’t talk to the players on the flight home. Many reasons he didn’t need to be on the floor against Houston. Mind wasn’t in it.

Look for a visit this coming week from Jeremiah Williams. The temple transfer who has already visited Iowa State. I love his length and defensive prowess and competitive drive. He’s going to be a really good player. I think Illinois can land him if they push for it. I have also been told Terrence Shannon Jr is just waiting to announce to Illinois. I fell 80/20 on TSJ to Illinois.

I do hope Podz takes a big step as well as Goode and Coleman shooting gets better because I truly think the only thing missing would be 3 point shooting. I do think Clark, Epps, & Melendez are all solid shooters then u have Podz and Goode who are above average shooters. I do think TSJ shot over 38 percent so if he can conithr that would he huge

Ryan_Evan

Administrator
Staff member
I do hope Podz takes a big step as well as Goode and Coleman shooting gets better because I truly think the only thing missing would be 3 point shooting. I do think Clark, Epps, & Melendez are all solid shooters then u have Podz and Goode who are above average shooters. I do think TSJ shot over 38 percent so if he can conithr that would he huge
Podziemski wants to stay and give it a go. Some really good young players coming in. I do expect him to play more than he did last year

EdVedd

Great stuff Ryan-- let's hope a good amount of this comes to fruition. Such a different world with the portal these days. I'm high on Melendez/Hawkins, etc. but Kofi is the key to being REALLY good vs good enough to compete. What's the expectation on Dain Dainja vs what they thought Payne would be? Crazy to think Payne was Top 50 but it shows the rankings aren't always right...

UncleSilk

Attachments

• F07AEEF5-AEE5-4854-9CFA-44C8CFE89B3B.jpeg
    F07AEEF5-AEE5-4854-9CFA-44C8CFE89B3B.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 60

rforan23

Staff member
As expected Omar Payne transferred from Illinois. Last week I told you two of Payne, Lieb and BBV would leave. I truly expect BBV to stay. He is the most likely of those three to contribute positively and not be a mental disaster to the team or hurt them by silly fouls or defensive breakdowns. He has shown he can bang in the post and be a body to spell minutes for Kofi.

Brandon Lieb wants to stay and be a graduate transfer next season. He likely will never contribute of substance at Illinois. He could go and play somewhere and make an impact at Northern Illinois and places like that. He’s told close sources he wants that degree from Illinois but in this day and age…that doesn’t matter. Just like Omar Payne who was asked to leave and told he won’t be playing if he stays at Illinois.

Austin Hutcherson will not be renewed back and will move on. I don’t expect a tweet farewell or some transfer post. It’s mutual but no way Brad asks such an injury risk to come back and waste another scholarship year.

Let me be clear I genuinely expect Kofi back. 99% the staff expects him back and I expect an announcement in the next few weeks.

I am still confident on Skyy Clark. To announce to Illinois in the next 1-2 weeks.
He will replace Andre Curbelo scholarship who by the way was on his way out during the ncaa tournament. I was told other schools were contacting him while the team was in Pittsburgh and he was hiding it and denying it. Also wouldn’t talk to the players on the flight home. Many reasons he didn’t need to be on the floor against Houston. Mind wasn’t in it.

Look for a visit this coming week from Jeremiah Williams. The temple transfer who has already visited Iowa State. I love his length and defensive prowess and competitive drive. He’s going to be a really good player. I think Illinois can land him if they push for it. I have also been told Terrence Shannon Jr is just waiting to announce to Illinois. I fell 80/20 on TSJ to Illinois.
Are we expecting a visit from Skyy Clark? Has he ever been to campus?

jmccampbell

That Williams part didn't age well.

MRogers

Didn’t want to be the backup. Also what’s funny Daniyall Robinson was his lead recruiter for ISU. He just got hired to go coach at Cleveland State. Funny buisness
It didn’t age well because Illinois has better options locked up. If they wanted him he would be an Illini right now. It’s fun being good again!