Injury updates on BBV, Grandison and more…

Ryan_Evan

Administrator
Staff member
Illinois clinched a share of the Big ten Sunday without help from Benjamin-Bosmans Verdonk and Jacob Grandison. As the team heads to Indianapolis Tuesday night here is the latest.

BBV is cleared and passed concussion protocols and is good to go for Friday’s quarterfinal matchup. This is a big deal because BBV can help five Kofi a little longer of a breather when Omar struggles to rebound or picks up two fouls in 60 seconds. He’s a way better ball screen defender than Payne as well and can guard bigger men in the paint.

Grandison is expected to be ready Friday and was fitted for a full shoulder brace. Adam fletcher had been working with him on Monday and Tuesday with a grip device to see how strong and how long he could hold on to things. Staff is expecting a full team locked and loaded for Post season play.

Kofi Tidbits

After the game Sunday, Kofi went out with some seniors and just sat and talked about the years and titles they have won. Truly loving in the moment. Word around the team is that Kofi truly doesn’t know yet and he’s going to see how this team handles and plays in March. What I was told …”If kofi dominates the big ten tourney and the team goes deep into March madness, Kofi likely won’t come back. He feels he’s proven his worth and knows his jersey will hang in the rafters. He will be a first team all American this season.” I understand if he doesn’t come back but the NIL money will make it hard for him to say no. I think a team will offer him a two way contract for G-League team and it’s NBA squad. He’s going to be 23 later this year and it’s one of those things you can understand. He made enough this season to be set to pursue a G League Job and not be hurting financially.

it’s a win/win for Illinois. Illinois has won back to back titles and success in this March Madness is highly possible.