Former USC head coach/OC at workouts….

Ryan_Evan

Administrator
Staff member
Clay Helton was in Champaign last week for multiple team workouts/mini practices while majority of the staff was out recruiting. Interesting for many reasons, but with the huge amount of unhappiness and stagnation with the offensive side of the ball, glad to see that Bret is allowing outsiders to come see the team and give some ideas. I’ve been told many meetings were held last week and some early this week about the direction the offense and personnel will finish up this season. No changes will be made with the staff during the year but I do expect some shakeup after the year ends. Could Clay Helton come on as a Co-OC? I think at the least that is very very possible. Clay would be a huge upgrade and even if they kept Petersen, Helton has been OC/QB coach for some very good USC teams and any guy who took a team to a Rose Bowl and won, would be an upgrade. Just keeping you aware of what’s been going on. Will have an article tomorrow on the status moving forward in the final 5 games and some changes you may see

Illini_Mo

I dont think he would come to be CO anything, I could see Peterson being gone, but really tough to judge any of these coaches year one. We don't have a BT QB, 2 of our top WR have been playing WR less then a year,and the OL is a major let down, makes it hard to put all the blame on the OC when the players he has to work with really arent all that good. That said someone will take the fall for the season and he is the most likely guy